2-1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fruit
Ham with Cherry Sauce
Turn a baked ham into a festive meal with this colorful and easy to make Cherry Sauce. Canned or frozen tart cherries, pineapple juice and Equal provide the necessary flavor.
3 pound fully cooked boneless ham
Fresh parsley sprigs
2 cans (14.5 ounces each) red tart pitted cherries in juice, undrained
2/3 to 3/4 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
4 teaspoons lemon juice
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 cup Equal® Spoonful or Granulated*
Red food coloring (optional)
* May substitute 24 packets sweetener
- For Ham, place meat in roasting pan; stud with cloves. Roast ham in preheated 325° F oven about 1-1/2 hours or until thermometer inserted in center of ham registers 160° F.
- For Cherry Sauce, drain cherries, reserving juice in 2-cup glass measure. Add enough pineapple juice to make 2 cups. Combine juice mixture and lemon juice in medium saucepan. Whisk in cornstarch until smooth.
- Heat to boiling, whisking constantly. Stir in cherries. Cook over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes or until heated through. Stir in Equal® and food coloring. (Makes about 4-1/2 cups.)
- Slice ham and arrange on platter. Place bowl of Cherry Sauce in the center. Garnish with parsley.
- NOTE: 2 packages (16 ounces each) frozen unsweetened pitted cherries, thawed, can be substituted for canned cherries. Drain cherries thoroughly. Add enough pineapple juice to make 2 cups. Proceed as recipe directs.